Thursday, June 28, 2012

Heavy Boots

I have been reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close the past few days, I just finished it this morning, and it was honestly such a beautiful book. When I first started the book, I was so frustrated and I found the book really confusing cause of how its written. Oskar, the main character, has so many random thoughts and in the beginning it was soo hard to follow. But once I got into it, I began to really like the book. Its funny, because I would be sitting at work, totally engrossed in Oskar and his adventure to find what the key opened, and then someone would walk into the bakery, and I'd have to come back to the real world. At times it felt like I was existing in two different places at once. Sitting outside reading this book made so happy - I definitely want to start reading outside more this summer. For my next read, I am going to see how I like this book called House of Sand and Fog. My grandma recommended it. I have tried, half heartedly, starting it a few times but I could never get into it. Hopefully this time will be different. 

These are some of my favorite quotes from the book:
"I miss what I already have and surround myself with things I miss" - Oskar's grandma
"I spent my life learning to feel less. Everyday I felt less. Is that growing old? Or is it something worse? You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness" - Oskar's grandma
"I regret that it takes a life to learn how to live, Oskar" - Oskar's grandma
"You can't love anything more than something you miss" - Oskar's grandpa
"Highs and lows make you feel that things matter, but they're nothing." "So what's something?" "Being reliable is something. Being good." William Black and Oskar


Also, whats with all these pictures of feet these days?! I don't even like feet. I gotta start changing it up; maybe actually get in front of the camera. I guess we'll see. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE extremely loud and incredibly close! It is so beautiful. I haven't seen the film yet, I'm a bit scared to since I loved the book so much :)

    ReplyDelete