Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Inspiring ideas

Dear Picture Taking, Art Making, Awesomeness Creating Friends,

I never know where to begin when explaining large amounts of information to people, so hopefully this isn't too all-over-the-place. So I was at work today and I was trying to think of something that I could do that would would keep me really busy in order to prevent me from consuming 5,000 calories (for those of you who don't know, I work at a bakery). Well a little bit of thinking led to this idea and project that I am about to tell you about and ask for your help with.

Before I even tell you the project and idea though, here is a warning: I get lots of ideas and start lots of projects that usually go no where - I am really awesome at starting things but I suck at finishing them. I really hope this project is different and I hope this turns into something incredible that will affect and help lots of people. But just a heads up, this might fall flat because I might get too busy/lazy to finish it. 

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, here is my idea (its kind of a big idea with lots of parts, so bare with me). I want to create a shop on etsy and sell some things. For right now, I am thinking of just sticking to post cards and stationary, but I am hoping to eventually expand my shop and sell a bunch of things created by my awesome and talented friends. As of now, here are the goals of this project:
1) To keep the written word and physical pieces of art alive. Today, everything is on the computer. But having a piece of art or a letter to hold is so much more satisfying.
2) To make people happy - who doesn't get happy when they get mail from friends or when they look at something thats really awesome and pretty and hand made?
3) All profits of the sales from my shop would go to feeding local families. Right now I am thinking of just saving the profits for a month or so, and then either donating all profits to a food pantry, or trying to find a local struggling family to support for a month. I really want this to be super personal, so I am hoping that we will be able to support a family, but if not, the food pantry feeds local families as well. Either way, we would be helping those who need it. 
4) Heres where you come in! I seriously have so many incredible and talented friends (yes, you!) You guys are awesome at drawing and photography and jewelry making and tree making and tee shirt making. You guys are all just incredible creative. So, I want this project to spread the work of young, talented artists by including your drawings and photographs on the back of the post cards that will be for sale. Then, if you choose, I will include a post it on the post card with some information about you (your name, e-mail, blog, flickr, etsy, etc.)

So heres the plan:
If you're interested in being apart of this, e-mail me with some information:
1) Attach either some of your drawings (preferably scanned) or some of your photography, that you'd be willing to have put on the back of a post card. It can seriously be anything. Anything that you've created that makes you think, "damn, I am freaking talented", send my way! There is no specific theme to the post cards right now. When the holidays come along, I will ask for more specific images, but right now I am just asking for whatever you've got!
2) If you'd like a post it with some of your information, please tell me exactly what information about your self you'd like the post it to include.
3) If you know a family we could sponsor, first contact them and make sure that they are okay with it, and then let me know.
4) Anything else you want to say! (:

I want to get this project up and running by the end of this summer. Once we go back to school, life is obviously going to be super hectic. That means I need to get your images, create the post cards, and get them all put up in a shop and spread the word by the end of August. With that being said, if you'd like to have your art on a post card, please send it to me ASAP!

Once the etsy shop is created (hopefully by the middle of August), I'd like to get some giveaways going on blogs in order to get people to check out the post cards and stationary. If you're interested in having a give away on your blog, let me know. Basically what will happen is the host of the give away will say something like "leave a comment on my blog letting me know which post card you like most". This will get people looking at the shop, and will hopefully get them to buy something even if they do not win. I am thinking that the winner will receive 3 free post cards, but we'll figure that out when we get there. 

Anyways, if you have any questions/comments/advice/want to get involved/want to chat/etc, please please reply! Also, if you could e-mail me with your art work by August 7th, that would be incredible. If thats not enough time, just let me know. But like I said, I'd like to get a shop running by the middle of August so that I can spend the rest of the month spreading the word. 

One last thing, if you know anyone else who is super talented and might be interested in having their art work featured, feel free to forward this to them! I am going to need all the art I can get!

Thank you so much for reading all of this,
Jess

1 comment:

  1. im going to send you nudes ;]

    haha that was totally unprofessional.

    ReplyDelete